Pilgrim`s Sanctuary of Our Lady of Karavaj
A revered painting with miracles of the Virgin Mary of Caravaggio, where she appeared in 1432 on 26 May, and created a source of grace”. This inscription is depicted on the image of Our Lady of Karavajo, brought by one of the ancestors of the Gelpi family at the beginning of the 18th century from the surroundings of Bergamo (Italy). The family erected a votive church in 1792 on the hill of Brošćica. The church can be reached via 214 steps through the street Put Karavaja, or the Way of the Cross, built in 1995 to commemorate the arrival of Pope John Paul II in Croatia. In the past pilgrims climbed the stairs on their knees to fulfil their vow, while present-day believers cross the Way of the Cross each year in the evening hours on the eve of the holiday.